The Prince Family

The Prince Family

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DIY: Fall Treats

Last Friday kicked off a week of events where someone in our family was required to attend some function and was also required to bring some sort of food item to the function. Since most of the events had to do with Halloween coming up, I felt the need to get crafty and creative. I chose a pumpkin theme because Noah's new favorite word is, "bumbkin." It's pretty cute when he says it and is way better than the "baba" he used to use to describe them. Anyways, here's a few of the things I've whipped up. They are beyond easy.

1. Pumpkin Cupcakes


These bad boys were already featured on my last 7 Quick Takes, but I had to post them again. You can use any kind of cake mix you want. (I may have even cheated and used the boxed kind. Seriously, I have 0 time for making cakes from scratch. I'd rather nap. lol) Then, you use food coloring to dye all the icings the correct colors. The face is made completely out of triangles, which are so easy to make with the right icing tip. Simple, simple, simple. And they tasted delicious. People at my dad's fundraiser really enjoyed this dessert option.

2. Pumpkin Cups filled with Goldfish


Matthew was assigned the snack in preschool for today, and since it was so close to Halloween, we decided to stick with that theme for our snacks. I bought 5 ounce Dixie Cups, and Matthew helped me paint them orange. (It was a great afternoon project.) Once they dried, I drew on pumpkin faces (with a Sharpie), again using all triangles. I mean, I have no artistic ability whatsoever and making these faces was super easy. Then, we filled the cups with Goldfish crackers (you can use any snack you want), covered them in Saran Wrap, and tied them off with green ribbon to look like stems. Again, so very easy. The treats apparently brought lots of smiles to his preschool class, and we had a great time making them.

3. Pumpkin Huggies


Matthew and Noah attend the same Toddlerobics Class on Wednesday mornings. Tomorrow, all of the kids are wearing their costumes, and there will be a mini trick or treat session. Matthew picked out the Huggies, and to make them more exciting and seasonal, we drew on pumpkin faces (again with a Sharpie) and then glued on green, paper stems. It literally took all of 20 minutes. We think they are really cute, and I think his classmates will enjoy receiving them tomorrow.

Well, those are my three DIY's for the Fall/Halloween season. I always look for very easy, kid friendly ideas. Or if I find an idea that's not kid friendly, I try to make it that way or find some part of it that Matthew can participate in. He enjoys helping, and it makes the the time we have just he and I before his nap much more enjoyable as well. Happy crafting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment