The Prince Family

The Prince Family

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Five Favorites: NFP Edition

Last week I wrote a post about the cross of NFP. Well, if there's one thing I have learned in life, it's that most crosses come with a few blessings, even if we don't recognize them right away. So for this week's edition of Five Favorites, I decided to list my five favorite things about using NFP. And if it comes off like I'm selling it as a good, I am! NFP is actually GOOD for a marriage. (It's not like it's evil or I'm walking around like Eeyore all day because we use NFP.) Why shouldn't it be sold that way? So, here we go....

1. I know my body like the back of my own hand.

Through charting, I have learned a lot about my body. I know that the stabbing, blinding ten second headaches I get just mean my cycle is getting ready to reset, not that I have a brain tumor. I know that for the last part of my cycle I should never step foot near a scale because I retain 3-5 pounds of water weight. I know that waking up feeling like my lower back is going to fall off just means ovulation is coming in the next few days. I have a thyroid disease, and I can tell after one messed up chart that I need to go get blood work done, and it saves me from getting super, super sick. I know exactly why my body does every single thing that it does. And that makes me more aware of my health all around. I am convinced that if something major was wrong, I would know early enough to be able to treat whatever it may be. 

2. Brian and I talk about our family size at least once a week. 

What does that mean? Why is it important? Basically, we are in a constant dialogue about when is the best time to expand our family. It's not like we made the decision to wait months ago (or the day after Noah was born and wouldn't stop screaming) and have yet to revisit it. We are continually reevaluating our situation in order to determine when the next baby should come. These dialogues are so wonderful for both us. We are truly honest and open with each other and are very vulnerable. They are intimate and connect us in ways we wouldn't otherwise be connected. We take the call to "responsible parenthood" very seriously.

3. I pray a lot more.

Using NFP successfully takes a ton of prayer. Whether you are trying to conceive or postpone a baby, you can't do either without prayer. I take my concerns or thanksgivings about NFP to God every day in prayer. I constantly seek His guidance and feel I rely on Him even more during the times we are postponing our next baby.

4. I relive my wedding night and honeymoon each month.

All those days of waiting and abstaining come to an end at some point every month. That's pretty cool. Enough said.

5. Using NFP successfully has made Brian and me the perfect candidates to give the NFP Talk at Engaged Encounter Weekends.

Many couples who go on these weekends, unfortunately, have never heard of NFP. They have been told the pill is the way to go. Because we use NFP, and it is so near and dear to our hearts, we are able to go every few months and talk to the engaged couples about why they should use NFP in their marriage. We get to meet them where they are in life, and show them the beauty of way of NFP. Sometimes we convert a few, and sometimes none. But we have at least planted the seed that: 1. The Catholic Church does not mandate that you should have a dozen children, and 2. There is a legitimate way to plan a family that leaves you open to life and allows you unity with your spouse. I think this last one is my favorite of the five favorites. :)

Happy Charting!

No comments:

Post a Comment